You can take your instructions and your guidance from others, but you must find your own path.” – Joseph Campbell
Did you know you have always possessed the map? Your Soul Aspect designed it with desired points of interest, scenic overlooks, traveling companions, and plenty of crossroads to make the journey exciting and unpredictable to spark curiosity and spiritual growth.
Each of our journeys is unique in its itinerary, and yet we are all crawling, toddling, marching, dancing, and even limping in the same direction. Joseph Campbell called it the Hero’s Journey.
Do you recognize it?
Joseph Campbell’s Stages of the Hero’s Journey
- Ordinary World: This step refers to the hero’s normal life (comfort zone) at the start of the story, before the adventure begins.
- Call to Adventure: The hero is faced with something that makes him begin his adventure. This might be a problem, a challenge he needs to overcome or a sense that something is missing.
- Refusal of the Call: The hero attempts to refuse the adventure because he is afraid.
- Meeting with the Mentor: The hero encounters someone who can give him advice and ready him for the journey ahead.
- Crossing the First Threshold: The hero leaves his ordinary world for the first time and crosses the threshold into adventure.
- Tests, Allies, Enemies: The hero learns the rules of his new world. During this time, he endures tests of strength of will, meets friends, and comes face to face with foes.
- Approach: Setbacks occur, sometimes causing the hero to try a new approach or adopt new ideas.
- Ordeal: The hero experiences a major hurdle or obstacle, such as a life or death crisis.
- Reward: After surviving death, the hero earns his reward or accomplishes his goal.
- The Road Back: The hero begins his journey back to his ordinary life.
- Resurrection Hero – The hero faces a final test where everything is at stake and he must use everything he has learned.
- Return with Elixir: The hero brings his knowledge or the “elixir” back to the ordinary world, where he applies it to help all who remain there.
Take heart, courageous Soul! You have access to everything you need for your journey and your Soul knows where to find it. All you need to do is Ask, Listen, Act.
Come connect with your Soul Aspect through a reading or learning experience and gain the guidance, tools, and insight you require for the adventure.
Your fellow traveler,